PURPOSE: The purpose of this position is to find the best source to meet Maher Terminals’ objectives, to negotiate the most favorable agreement possible, and to prepare the documentation for that agreement in accordance with company policies. The Buyer must work with management to transform the department from a tactical to a strategic profit center for Maher Terminals.
RESPONSIBILITES: It is the responsibility of the Buyer to work with minimal direction or supervision to accomplish all the duties delegated by department management. A Buyer has the responsibility to know the accepted business purchasing methods and know the purchasing policies and procedures of this organization. It is the responsibility of the buyer to conduct all business in accordance first with the policies and procedures of Maher Terminals, but if a subject is not covered by those policies and procedures then act in accordance with the best business purchasing standards as currently practiced or as directed by department management. It is the responsibility of the Buyer to know or quickly learn all the items and services with which he or she will transact business and to buy those products or services with the most favorable terms and conditions.
- Process purchase orders as required.
- Run management by exception reports (on-time deliveries) and update Maximo accordingly. Notify internal stakeholders of delays.
- When applicable, expedite critical components and overdue purchase orders.
- Consider inclusion of potential new vendors with purchasing staff that can replace or compete with existing vendors.
- Manage supplier relationships, track performance, communicate supplier performance feedback.
- Become a subject expert to leverage full functionalities of Maximo and other systems as they are implemented.
- Continue to increase product knowledge pertaining for terminal operations.
- Resolve supplier and accounts payable issues associated with over shipments, invoicing issues, etc.
- Evaluate and negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Other responsibilities, including off-site third-party agency visits, as determined and assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or a related field required and/or 5-10 years of industrial purchasing experience
- Strong communication & negotiating skills
- Comprehensive understanding of MS Excel, MS Word and industry standard purchase order software platforms. IBM Maximo a plus.
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to work well with a team.
- Able to organize many projects at one time and see them through to completion
- Must be able to obtain a valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (“TWIC”) issued by the Department of Homeland Security’s Transportation Security Administration (“TSA”).
Must be physically able to lift, carry, and transport boxes/office equipment up to 25 lbs with or without the use of a dolly or office cart.
Interested candidates should apply by using this link to: Procurement Specialist.