Maher Terminals LLC and its affiliated companies, is committed to providing equal opportunity in all employment matters, including, but not limited to, recruitment, application, selection, promotions, compensation, transfers and training. It also has been, and shall remain, our policy to promote fair and equitable treatment of all employees and applicants for employment and to comply with the applicable laws and regulations governing equal employment opportunity. In keeping with this policy, Maher Terminals and its affiliated companies will recruit, hire, train, and promote qualified persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other federally protected category, and without regard to sexual orientation or gender identification.
Please click on the red position links to view full description:
Purpose: To have hands-on responsibility for Maher’s electrical infrastructure, maintenance, environmental, health, safety, energy, controls/instrumentation, civil engineering, and HVAC needs. Support the Facility Manager by addressing the maintenance needs of the marine terminal facility through inspections of the terminal’s grounds, buildings and various other structures and provide supervision and project management support for construction and maintenance / repair activities.
- Lead/analyze projects and technical responsibilities that a typical facility would have on a day-to-day basis. Assist the Facility Manager in the implementation of the facility maintenance program and assist with the responsibilities of the Facility Maintenance Department.
- Responsible for the supervision of a facility maintenance team, including supervision of workorders, payroll, parts and materials stores and requisitions, safety, quality standards, and productivity. Directly supervise and work with a department of ILA longshore mechanics to ensure that daily tasks related to the facilities systems are conducted, as well as establish a recurring program of more comprehensive maintenance.
- Assist the Facility Manager is the implementation of the annual paving inspection and repair program. Inspect, classify and document pavement deficiencies throughout the facility. Prioritize and coordinate pavement repair with the various contractors and Maher stakeholders, and supervise the paving repair activities.
- Perform scheduled and periodic inspections of facility condition and infrastructure, including pavement, drainage system, mooring systems, buildings, etc. Document and report any deficiencies and make recommendations to remedy. Manage projects to remedy deficiencies.
- Propose and develop designs for the improvement of terminal facilities considering operating performance and safety. Prepare, schedule, and manage assigned engineering and construction projects while effectively coordinating with all stakeholders. Assist with and prepare designs and specifications. Assist in the development of project budgets and track costs and progress against budgets and schedules.
- Liaise with various terminal labor unions and insure safety, productivity, and harmony in the workforce.
- BS degree in Facilities Engineering, or equivalent engineering discipline
- Must be able to obtain Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC) through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- Must be able to obtain a Pier Superintendent’s License from the Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor.
- Applicable work experience in facility, civil/structural or mechanical engineering with relevant hands-on field inspection and project management experience
- Experience with structural and mechanical engineering principles, codes, best practices and designs
- Must have strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills and is equally comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with safety rules, regulations, fire safety codes, best practices and performance standards associated with operation and maintenance of buildings, facilities, and an industrial environment
- Project management and onsite project supervision skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization through verbal and written skills.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills. Must be able to collaborate with key persons to ensure clarity of the specifications and expectations of the company.
- Professional Engineering License preferred but not required
- Achievement of a Facilities Engineer / Management related credential. For example:
- Facilities Management Professional (FMP)
- Certified Professional Maintenance Manager (CPMM)
- Certified Plant Engineer (CPE)
- Proficiency in 2D Computer Aided Design Systems
- Advanced MS Office skills including Excel, Word and Project
- Technical report writing and presentation skills
Purpose: Provide technical field support, engineering design, analysis, and project management for the installation, maintenance, and repair of heavy equipment and ancillary support systems in a high-volume container terminal environment. Ensure that existing specialized container handling equipment and infrastructure is adequately designed, certified, and maintained to facilitate safe and efficient cargo handling operations in accordance with applicable standards, codes, and industry recognized best practices. Support the engineering needs of the marine terminal facility through inspections of cargo handling equipment, buildings, electrical infrastructure, and collaboration with other departments as necessary to ensure the continued success of Maher Terminals’ Mission.
- Liaise with labor unions and insure safety, productivity, and harmony in the workforce.
- Troubleshoot failures of equipment and infrastructure to develop recommendations and procedures for appropriate corrective action.
- Perform periodic inspections of container handling equipment. Document and report any deficiencies to include recommendations to remedy. Manage projects to remedy deficiencies.
- Schedule and support programs for inspection and certification of container handling equipment.
- Prepare, schedule, coordinate, and manage assigned engineering projects. Develop project budgets, track costs and progress against budgets and schedules.
- Propose and develop designs for the improvement of existing terminal equipment considering safety and operating performance.
- Assist with the development of mechanical and structural technical specifications for new equipment purchases and assist with manufacturing inspections.
- Assist in the preparation of designs and specifications for terminal projects.
- Applicable work experience in a maintenance environment with extensive hands-on troubleshooting, repair, field inspection, and project management experience.
- Candidate MUST acquire a Transportation Workers Identification Card (“TWIC”) and successfully pass the licensing process for Pier Superintendent, with the Waterfront Commission of New York Harbor.
- Technical report writing and presentation skills
- Advanced MS Office skills, especially Excel and Word.
- Experience with electrical, structural, and mechanical engineering principles, codes, best practices and designs
- Team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to collaborate with key persons to ensure clarity of the specifications and expectations of the company
- Strong skills in the following areas: networking, active listening/learning, critical thinking, analytical thinking, judgement and decision making, management of material resources, project management, mathematics, time management, presentation, and operations analysis
- BS degree in an Engineering discipline or equivalent technical work experience
- Proficiency in 2D/3D Computer Aided Design Systems
- Industrial weld inspection or weld inspection supervision skills and experience
Interested candidates may forward a resume and cover letter to:
Maher Terminals LLC
Attn: Human Resources
1210 Corbin Street
Elizabeth, New Jersey 07201
Fax: (908) 436-4803
No Phone Calls Please.
We regret that we can only contact applicants that have been selected for an interview.